It’s time for a new kind of Friday FabOoolousness post… my Friday Favorites.
My Friday Favorites will include any products that make me say Ooo, ranging from multipurpose household products (like today), to kitchen gadgets, to my favorite candles, etc, and the reasons why I love them. I hope you enjoy!
For years, I have received interesting emails and seen numerous informative sites that list inexpensive, everyday products that can be used for more than what we originally purchased them for in the first place. I have been using some of these tips since college, and I wish I had saved the original sources for referencing today. Unfortunately, I did not.
So we’re clear, I’m in no way implying that these brilliant ideas were my own—I’m no Martha Stewart. However, with all of the neat tricks for around the house floating around Pinterest, I thought it would be fun to share a few of my favorites here at The Ooo Factor. Because let’s face it, these multipurpose products make me say Ooo.
- Bathing in vinegar helps remove the heat/sting from sunburns. It may stink; it may even be an old wives’ tale, but it has worked for me in the past. Maybe it’s psychological?
- Using vinegar in the rinse cycle of the wash helps keep the whites white, the colors bright, and the fabrics soft. And no, the clothes do not come out smelling like vinegar.
- Using vinegar in the rinse cycle of the dish washer helps remove water stains from the dishes and glasses.
- When mixed with water, vinegar cleans your fruits and vegetables. And with the cyclospora scare in multiple states right now, we need to be washing our fruits and vegetables.
- When mixed with water, vinegar acts as a conditioner for your hair. I still need to try this one and plan to soon. I’ll report back as soon as I do.
- Vinegar also shines silver; I learned this trick while working in the food and beverage industry.
- AND last but not least, vinegar tastes good in deviled eggs and potato salad.
Apple Cider Vinegar
While many uses of apple cider vinegar mirror that of regular vinegar, it also has many health benefits. Simply mix with water and/or tea, and apple cider vinegar can aid with stomach issues, sore throats, weight loss, heartburn (which sounds crazy, since it’s acidic, but it does work when diluted), and even teeth whitening (I still need to try this one).
- Fresh and crisp (unused) dryer sheets repel mosquitoes and other bugs.
- Lightly used dryer sheets eliminate dust and static electricity from televisions and computer screens AND are safe to use on these surfaces.
- Lightly used dryer sheets are also perfect to use as a dust rag around the house.
- And since air fresheners are so expensive, try laying dryer sheets around the house for that fresh smell, replacing every so often. This works when traveling, too… to keep suitcases smelling like a warm batch of clean clothes.
Besides the obvious… pillow cases, particularly the king sized ones, can be used to cleanse delicates in the normal wash cycle in lieu of hand washing. Hand washing instructions can’t be avoided on some clothing, particular women’s clothing. If you’re anything like me, you look at the wash care instructions before buying clothes. But sometimes, we can’t resist the urge to buy it anyway, even if we hate using our sinks for clothes. Simply throw the hand-wash item in the pillow case, tie the open end in a knot, and throw in with the rest of the load. This may be one of my favorite tricks ever.
What multipurpose products do you love to have around the house? Have any neat tricks you’d like to share? I’d love to hear from you!